Are you looking to make a difference? Do you want to shape the course of York Region communities? Do you like to have fun and enjoy collaborating with people? You might consider employment with Big Brothers Big Sisters of York.
As employment opportunities arise, they are posted below. Qualified candidates are encouraged to send resumes to the contacts provided for each position. Only those candidates that are being considered will be contacted. No phone calls or e-mail follow-ups please.
Placement Student: We accept placement students for September through April and May through August
Reports to: Program Manager and Supervisor
Big Brothers Big Sisters of York (BBBSY) offers a wide range of mentoring opportunities to meet the varied needs of volunteers, children and families in York Region and Bradford West Gwillimbury. Serving as role models, our mentors demonstrate the importance of giving and giving back, staying in school, and respecting family, peers and the community in which we live.
Each time we pair a child with a mentor or introduce a group of children to a group program, we start something BIG.
Placement Students play an integral role in our service delivery. They help us offer support to matches in our Community-Based programs and work directly with young people in our Site-Based group and one-to-one mentoring programs. For more information on our various programs visit www.bbbsy.ca.
Program Coordination and Casework:
The Student will provide support to the Program Team in consultation with Program Manager/Supervisor. This will help develop a complete understanding of service delivery.
- Execute all aspects of program coordination to meet the National Standards, as defined by Big Brothers Sisters of Canada, and agency policies and procedures.
- With proper clearance the Student may work directly with one or more children through various our mentoring programs.
- Participate in the intake process for families and volunteers; including gathering pertinent information, assisting with in-person assessments, facilitating trainings, and providing referrals.
- Job shadow Program Coordinator(s) when time permits, learning other areas of service delivery.
- Attend Program Activities as required and support other agency events including fundraisers.
Fundraising/Resource Development (as needed)
The Student may also support a fundraising project under the direction of the Fundraising Team.
- Work with the Fundraising Team to promote an agency event. This might include a signature fundraising event or an event we support in the community.
- Attend Fundraising Meetings where appropriate and prepare promotional materials for upcoming events.
- Support Community and Event Coordinator as requested.
- Currently enrolled in a post-secondary social services program, or related field
- Clear and current Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Valid driver’s license, copy of insurance, and access to a reliable vehicle on placement days
- Experience working with children/youth in school or community settings is preferred
- Experience in group facilitation is an asset
- Completion of a formal Mentor Application (to be provided by BBBSY once placement has been secured)
- Flexibility to work some evening and weekend hours may be required
Please send a copy of your resume and cover letter to Sara.Congiusti@bigbrothersbigsisters.ca