“I don’t have many male influences in my life and my Big Brother is one of the best ones I’ve ever had because he’s outdoorsy, and likes all the stuff that I like. When I’m with him I’m really happy because I’m having fun and he’s like a real big brother to me. I’m glad he was picked to be my Big Brother because he’s had a really positive influence on my life.”
“My Little Brother has had a positive impact on my life in a few different ways. He considers me his friend and always wants to hang out with which makes me feel like I am having a positive impact in his life. The most positive impact he’s had on me is the fact that I’ve gained a new friend to laugh with and do fun activities with. It reminds me of the happiness of being a kid again.”
“My Big Brother has impacted my life by being consistent with our time while also keeping my life action packed and fun. When I met him I wasn’t bored anymore because I got to play different games and he encourages me to go outside more and be more active. I’m glad I have him as my Big Brother because our personalities match very well and he just gets me!”
Step 1: General Information
The Big Brothers Mentoring program matches boys and young men with a uniquely suited male role model to talk to and share common interests with. Through regular outings, a relationship is developed between the mentor and the mentee that is built on trust and consistency. With the support of their volunteer mentors, children are able to increase their self-confidence, enhance social skills, and engage in new experiences within their community.
The Big Brothers Mentoring program requires two regularly scheduled outings a month of several hours each and a minimum of 1 year commitment.
The program strives to do the following:
- Provide a role model and a friend for boys and young men
- Promote the importance of staying in school and healthy relationships with family and peers
- Instill trust and self-confidence in order to make healthy decisions
- Encourage leadership skills and independent thinking
- Above all, make a difference while having fun
Step 2: Requirements
- Mentors must be at least 18 years old
- Able to commit 3-4 hours weekly/bi-weekly for a minimum of 12 months
- Not anticipating any major life changes that could impact a match (i.e. moving, change in employment, etc.)
- Have a valid driver’s license, insurance, and access to a vehicle
- Would like to have fun and build a positive relationship with a child
Step 3: How It Works
Please complete the online application form. You will be contacted by a Program Coordinator within 2-3 business days regarding next steps.
We will send an email to confirm we’ve received your application along with a police check letter, your orientation manual, an AODA Training link and an AODA form.
POLICE CHECK & REFERENCES
Police Checks must be returned to our office and references must be completed before an interview can be scheduled.
An agency Program Coordinator will contact you to book a time to complete the Interview.
Your Program Coordinator will provide you with a link for our Pre-Match Training video and quiz following the interview. This can be completed at home at your earliest convenience. You will also be required to attend one of our interactive virtual Developmental Relationship Trainings. Dates will be provided to you for registration.