“I love having a Big Sister because having someone to spend time with and actually express my feelings to is good. I’m starting to feel more and more comfortable and slowly opening up ever since I met her. I’ve been opening up to other people too. I look forward to seeing my Big Sister every week.”
“My little has impacted my life in many ways. Her creativity and artistic talents have brought out an interest in the arts that I was not confident I had. Her positivity and support has shown me new ways to approach tasks and try activities even when I don’t think I can do them well.”
“My Big Sister has changed my life by giving me someone else to talk to when I’m sad or in need of a friend. She has showed me stuff I wouldn’t of seen if I wasn’t matched with her. I honestly think I couldn’t be any happier matched with someone else other than her.”
Step 1: General Information
The Big Sisters Mentoring program matches girls and young women with a uniquely suited female role model to talk to and share common interests with. Through regular outings, a relationship is developed between the mentor and the mentee that is built on trust and consistency. With the support of their volunteer mentors, children are able to increase their self-confidence, enhance social skills, and engage in new experiences within their community.
The Big Sisters Mentoring program requires two regularly scheduled outings a month of several hours each and a minimum of 1 year commitment.
The program strives to do the following:
- Provide a role model and a friend for girls and young women
- Promote the importance of staying in school and healthy relationships with family and peers
- Instill trust and self-confidence in order to make healthy decisions
- Encourage leadership skills and independent thinking
- Above all, make a difference while having fun
Step 2: Requirements
- Commit approximately two – four hours every other week
- I must be able to commit to a minimum of 1 year at the time of matching
- A valid driver’s license, insurance, and access to a vehicle
- I must be 18 years or older
- Must complete all steps of enrollment process
- I must not be anticipating any major life changes that could impact my match
Step 3: How It Works
Please complete the online application form. You will be contacted by a Program Coordinator within 2-3 business days regarding next steps.
We will send an email to confirm we’ve received your application along with a police check letter, your orientation manual, an AODA Training link and an AODA form.
POLICE CHECK & REFERENCES
Police Checks must be returned to our office and references must be completed before an interview can be scheduled.
An agency Program Coordinator will contact you to book a time to complete the Interview.
Your Program Coordinator will provide you with a link for our Pre-Match Training video and quiz following the interview. This can be completed at home at your earliest convenience. You will also be required to attend one of our interactive virtual Developmental Relationship Trainings. Dates will be provided to you for registration.